Cheryl L. Romano - Former Assessor
Cheryl won seven elections (1990, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012). She would tell you she fells very fortunate to have had such a good staff. However, some credit must be given to her, doing a good job where she gave attention to individual problems, maintained an open door policy for all taxpayers and her employees, continually keeping abreast of existing WV Code and new developments.
Cheryl gained the respect of fellow assessors and has received their praise in many ways. She never refused to help when her peers felt her expertise was needed, or when she felt her participation could affect her employees or Harrison County property owners in a positive way. Following are some of her accomplishments.
- Appointed to the Technical Team and served since 1996.
- Elected as Secretary, Third, Second and First Vice Presidents, and President of the West Virginia Assessor's Association.
- Elected as Board of Directors for the West Virginia Association of Counties (12 years +) and the WV Assessor's Association.
- Served on Legislative Committees, Data Processing Committees, etc. as member of the WV Assessor's Association
- As president of the West Virginia Assessor's Association, she implemented the participation of deputy assessors in the annual in-service training meeting, resulting in the creation of a Deputy's Committee as part of the WV Assessor's Association.
- She was a member of the National Association of Fee Appraisers.
- Served as a member of the Property Valuation Training and Procedures Commission that oversees the statewide monitoring of counties in the re-appraisal efforts.
- Awarded the Ralph C. Boyles Memorial Achievement Award in 1994 and 2006, presented by the West Virginia Department of Tax and Revenue.
- Awarded the Assessor of the Year Award in 1993, presented by the Assessor's Association of West Virginia.
- Served as West Virginia's Representative to the International Association of Assessing Officers.
- Has earned various certificates of achievement through her successful participation in continuing education requirements through the WV Department of Tax and Revenue and International Association of Assessing Officers (IAAO).
- Certificate of Achievement granted by West Virginia University's Leadership Academy.